Friday, March 27, 2020

Slivers of Silver

In some ways I feel like Bill Murray in the movie “Groundhog Day” where he keeps repeating the same day over and over and over. Our alarm goes off and my fuzzy brain tries to process where am I going and what am I doing today? Then the “repeat” mode kicks in and I realize, I’m not going anywhere. I’m not doing much. With a bit more clarity, I remember this crazy, world pandemic, state of emergency crisis we are in and I wish it was a movie. And I wish I could wake up and it wasn’t happening. But, it’s real.
 
I toted my teacup to my chair where God and I have some serious conversations. To be honest, I do most of the talking. I was already sighing with the “When will this end?” “What is going to happen?” and “I hate this!”stuff, and a line in my little daily devotion book caught my eye. Basically, it said God doesn’t like His kids to grumble, appreciation is a better approach.  Hmmmm, I usually consider myself to be a fairly positive person, but maybe there are others out there that could use some help finding some good. Maybe if I look around a bit, I can find some slivers of silver lining amidst all this anxiety. 

I’m so proud of our community and how folks realize that there are some businesses that really need support right now. The hospitality industry is taking a big hit, and trying to keep our money local is important. My dentist once told me to only brush the teeth I wanted to keep, we can apply that to this situation. Support the businesses that you want to be there when this levels out. The big boys will be back, it’s the lil’ guys that need a hand now. Consider calling and buying a gift certificate or paying for a future service.

I love hearing stories about how the home schooling is going. This might be the best thing ever to show the value of a public school system, campus, teachers and curriculum. Let’s hear a cheer!
Speaking of what’s going on on the home front, this quarantine is a like being grounded, together. When was the last time your clan spent so much time under the same roof? We have been mandated to spend time with our family, which should be a gift.

Occasionally there is a bit of positive on the news. Did you see where the NBA Pelican player paid the salaries of the arena despite no games? Fans have been forced to live without sports, but that player knew there were some workers that needed the work in sports to live. Zion Williamson is 19 years old. The New Orleans Zoo named a newly hatched penguin chick after him.  Zion. How cool is all of that?

There are more silver linings and I plan to discuss them, here. Stay with me with you want some good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...