Monday, February 12, 2018

A Chicken, An Injection, and Weather Conditions


“I need to borrow a chicken.” This is my text message that went out to friends in the OKC area. Some responded without a flinch, others I could tell, paused and answered, “This is Patti Beth, right?” Then they understood. A girlfriend called on Friday and asked what I was doing. I replied that I was looking for a hen to borrow for a speaking engagement; I was filling out vaccination records, and working on the cast for the HarBer Village Murder Mystery. Just a regular day in my world.
Let me back up. My alter-ego, country girl Willamae, was to speak to a women’s group at a church in Edmond. This had been planned for months. My theme was “Being a Chicken Christian” and I carry in a live chicken.

The other part of our to-do list is hubby Doug and I are excited that the pieces have fallen in place, although a bit last minute, for us to do a mission trip to Uganda. This tiny country requires a yellow fever vaccination. We both have had it, but it’s been over ten years, so we decided to get a booster along with updates on Typhoid, and some other shots. Here’s the tricky part, the only place we could find that could get the vaccine, before July… was in OKC, and the nurse made a special appointment for us at 8 am, Saturday.

Then the weather report came in calling for ice and snow between here and OKC last Friday night. We decided we better cancel Friday night’s plans and get to OKC to be there for the needle. Miss the shot, we miss Uganda. Since the worst of the front was reported to be between Grove and West Tulsa, we opted to get ahead of it and stay the night in Oklahoma City.

Now, what about the chicken? I wasn’t sure that “Sparkles” was up for this long of a road trip. Plus, now we would be staying in a hotel. Trust me, after all this animals on the airplanes business, I was thinking maybe I could sew a little vest for her and she could be my “comfort hen.” (Have you seen the YouTube with the turkey on the plane??) I’m not sure how to mute a chicken; I did have one that wanted to sing with the choir at one church I entertained. I pinched her beak together, but she still made a joyful noise.

So, surely, I could borrow a chicken on that side of the state, right? So the hunt for a hen began. I’m striking out in my search, and as we are driving trying to beat the reported ice and snow, I call niece Jena Beth and tell her I need poultry. (She is never surprised at the things I ask.) She is at a basketball game, trying to hear me over bouncing balls and squeaking sneakers. I tell her where I’ll be speaking and I can hear her shouting into her phone “Holy Trinity Lutheran Church? Yes, a chicken. A LIVE chicken!” as she puts out an all-call to OSU sorority sisters. Who in turn shared it on their Face Book posts along with comments like “Here’s something I never thought I’d say...”

The all-call worked and a lovely buff Orpington was located 15 minutes from the church. So we survive the drive, the hotel stay, the shots and go pick up this golden colored girl. Sparkles was a star, there under my arm. She clucked on cue into the microphone. She was so relaxed, at one point her little eye went shut and her head tilted over… she was asleep! But her big moment came when during the part I’m talking about all the virtues of a chicken, she sings out loud and the ladies react. I’m guessing what is going to be on the floor under her, but she surprised me. She had laid an egg! Or dropped an egg to be more exact! It didn’t break, and of course, everyone thought it was planned. What a performance!

As I returned Sparkles back to her home roost that night, it seemed the other hens were waiting up for her. She commenced in, clucking about her adventure. 

There is some meaningful travel message in this true story. It might be about being flexible when you travel. Or there are still wonderful people in the world to help in the time of need. Or it just might be that I’ve got a chicken lovin’ momma in heaven who is still looking out for her little crazy chick.

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...