Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Ground to Cover


I recently had a friend text me. He and his sweet wife were traveling and checked in with a cute picture, but it was his candid remark that left me in deep thought. He quipped “We are covering ground before it covers us.” Well... isn’t that just enough said? I told him I was going to steal that line.

That may become my mission statement. Or my mantra. Or my slogan. But for a person that is interested in seeing as much of this beautiful, crazy planet we live on before we are planted in it, that says it all. Who’s with me?

I understand not everyone is as “Good to Go” as I am. That’s OK. For those of you that travel from the comfort of your armchair, with a cup of coffee as you read this column, thank you for allowing me to share the world with you. For those of you who watch a movie or television program and think, “I’d love to go there someday,” it’s you I’m talking to today.

This week I spent some time with a traveler that lost his wife of many years. He fought back tears as talked about things they were going to do together. Luckily, they made lots of memories together, but they weren’t finished yet. There was still ground left to cover. 

My friends that enjoy my travel stories declare to me that SOMEDAY they want to go with me on a group adventure. I usually cite my saying from the soapbox which they feel doesn’t apply to them. I remind them that AARP sends us cards on a monthly basis, whether we are signed up or not. We are there... and not gaining ground if we expect to cover it. 

My mission, mantra, slogan, soapbox speech has always been “If you can guarantee that next year you will more healthy, more wealthy, more able to travel NEXT YEAR, then definitely wait. If you can’t guarantee yourself this, then travel NOW.”  In other words, you should cover ground… before it covers you.

If you think I’m being insensitive, then ask the person who was planning on going SOMEDAY and now they don’t have a partner to go with. If you think I’m being unfeeling, then ask the person that only takes trips to doctor’s appointments. If you think I’m being callous, then ask the person whose knees and hips and back keep them sitting in that armchair reading my articles instead of being able to travel with us. Those people may have insight on waiting to travel.

(Boy, Patti Beth, you are on a roll!) 

It doesn’t get easier to travel as we get older (there, I said the “O” word), it gets more challenging. It may be easier to find a hotel or flight online, but that doesn’t make standing in lines at the airport, or the size of coach seats any more comfortable. We may have more time, or more money, but will our eyes and our sense of adventure be as sharp SOMEDAY?

I’m stepping down from my soapbox now. I have trips to plan, pack for and write about. I have ground to cover.

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...