Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Are You A Traveler?


When the subject of “travel” comes up in conversation, people reflect on the activity with a variety of perspectives.

 “Yes, I love to travel,” may mean the person takes a vacation every summer.

“Yes, I love to travel,” may mean this person is up for road trips, even if a flight would be quicker.

“Yes, I love to travel,” may hint at wanderlust, that there is a desire to see the world. This is me, I love to travel. Near or far, but my favorite place is different. I really like to go far enough that the destination feels more different than familiar. I like the challenge of working through languages. I like staying in places where I have to learn the way the faucets work, or the tea kettle heats, or the elevator engages. I get a kick out of looking at a menu and taking a tiny risk on selecting something exotic. I welcome the chance to learn that there are other ways the world to accomplish the same things, whether it’s the way coffee is served or a handshake is exchanged. I love the opportunity to learn more about history and culture and being immersed in it, not just reading about it.

I’ve been to many “different” places, but one of the most different was my first visit to China. I remember as I packed my suitcase, I started looking at the “made in” labels on my stuff. It seemed like 80% of my belonging were made in China. I recall thinking I shouldn’t worry about forgetting anything, because everything I owned started there. 

I arrived in China and it was probably the first time in my traveling career that I felt like I was truly in a foreign place. I couldn’t understand a word of Chinese. I couldn’t read a single Chinese symbol. I had no grasp on the culture; what was acceptable and appropriate. I wasn’t even sure my go-to gestures and body language would convey what I intended. This added excitement to the adventure. 

And it confirmed, once again, that traveling with a group is the way to go. Our tour guide was there to explain, interpret, and educate us each step of the way. We were able to go and do and see so much more with our personal guide. If I had been on my own trying to figure things out, well, I might still be there.

Our world is big place. There are colorful cultures, friendly people, breath taking scenery, and amazing creations that are even better seen through your own eyes. China is one of those places. We are going back to China April 2019. If you are a traveler, I invite you to see for yourself, from Beijing to Shanghai, from  the Great Wall to the Yangtze River. It will be terracotta warriors and palaces. There will be opportunities to meet students and elders.

This trip will give you the chance to explore while having the safety and ease of being with friends. Memories will be made. Jillions of photos will be taken. Noodles will be eaten. And lots of items labeled “made in China” will be purchased. Let’s travel.

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...