Monday, August 6, 2018

All My Bags are Packed…


Well, mine are not quite packed yet, but I’m notorious for waiting until the last minute. I am preparing for a 10-day trip and the cooler destination is causing me to think a little more than I usually do when it comes to packing. People tease me that I keep my bags packed, not quite, but I have smaller bags of essentials that are ready to toss in and go!

As a gal that has worn out more luggage than laundry baskets, I thought I might pass along a few packing tips to get you Good to Go.

·         Flying? The 3-1-1 rule is still in effect which means that you can’t have any liquids or gels in your carry-on bag over 3 ounces. They must be put into 1 quart size zip-lock bag, 1 per person. 3-1-1. I’m always sorry when I see the TSA security agents taking big cans of hairspray, expensive bottles of perfume, and new bottles of water and putting them in the trash. They are serious about this rule. Even tubes of toothpaste over 3 ounces that just have a dab in the tube gets tossed. This will cause a delay as they have to pull your carry-on bag and locate the items. Everyone in line will give you the stink eye. Just think through what you are carrying, and be prepared.

·         You can’t take a bottle of water through security but you can take an empty bottle. Then you can refill it on the other side of the detectors. This will save you a few bucks.

·         Take a picture of your suitcase on your smart phone. If your luggage is lost, it is easier to describe for the lost bag claim if you have a picture. This is a great tip when traveling abroad.

·         Don’t have all your cash, passport, passport copy, and credit cards in the same place. This is usually your purse or wallet. When all your valuables are in the same spot, the damage is greater if you are a victim of theft. Neck wallets keep things tucked in and close. A non-descript case such as a pencil case, or even an empty lip balm tube can hide extra cash in your carry-on or backpack.

·         Plan for the smelly socks, or damp swimsuit. Bring along extra Ziploc® bags to keep the stinky stuff away from the clean stuff. It takes a tiny bit of extra effort, but by the end of the trip, when the stinky is the majority, you want to have something to wear home that doesn’t smell like last week.

·         What do I never leave home without? Duct tape and clothes pins. The duct tape has unlimited uses, as you would guess. The clothes pins are great when you wash out things in the sink and hang on the towel rod to dry. They are also great when there is a gap in the hotel/motel curtains. You can pin or tape the drapes to give you privacy or block out the light. 

And one final tip: When you get home, toss a dryer sheet or a scented bar of soap in your bag to keep it smelling nice until you are Good to Go the next time!

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...