Saturday, October 20, 2018

New England Facts for $500

We travel for various reasons, one good one is to learn. I only wish I could remember a tiny fraction of what I’ve been exposed to. I’d be Jeopardy-bound.
 
We are touring four states in New England and Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine did not disappoint. Here are a few things I missed in 18 years of school but I learned on a tour.
Paul Revere did not gallop through Boston crying. “The British are coming.” What he actually said was, “The regulars are coming out.” And there wasn’t any galloping. He rode and spoke quietly with the warning. Not only did my cartoons have it wrong, so did my history book.
While we are learning about Paul, “One if by land, two if by sea,” should have been “One if by land, two if they cross the Charles River.” We can blame Henry Wadsworth Longfellow for that one. I won’t deny a fellow, long or short, to take a little liberty when writing. But “The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere” has stuck more than the real story. But in Longfellow’s defense, “sea” sounds much more dramatic. And it’s easier to rhyme than “Charles River.”
It takes 20-30 gallons of sap tapped from maple trees to make one gallon of maple syrup. I suppose this is the reason we don’t see buckets hanging from trees in the neighborhood in Oklahoma.
Lobstermen put out strings of lobster traps a bit like Grand Lake trot lines. These are marked with a number and color combination. Traps are baited and then pulled up every two to three days. Although the traps can lure and capture multiple lobsters, due to the strict size limit, keeping an average of one per trap is considered a good run.
It takes about seven years for a Maine Rock lobster to grow big enough to be a keeper. Seven years it will eat the fisherman’s bait and be caught and released. Maybe close to 100 times in and out of the trap before it is deemed dinner. One time too many.
Seaweed is used like hay, to mulch plants in gardens. The bonus is… no bugs.
The Von Trapp family of Sound of Music fame fled Austria and still owns a lodge in Vermont. They did not make a dime from Rogers & Hammerstein’s play or Hollywood’s movie. I’ll bet these AREN’T A Few of THEIR Favorite Things.
A whale’s heart only beats 7-9 times per minute. I’m guessing trying to get it’s heart rate up and sustain it, in order to lose some blubber, would be a whale of a job.
Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream has a graveyard for retired flavors and those that were short lived. You can stroll among the headstones and read the epitaphs of chunks and swirls that weren’t scooped up like Tennessee Mud and Oh Pear.
Dairy farmers use robotic milking machines that allow the cows to decide how often they want to be milked. A computer chip is read and data is recorded on the cow and her production. These costly robots are an effort to deal with costly labor. The price of raw milk is currently the same as it was in the 1940’s.
Not only does travel enlighten, it educates. I better stay Good to Go in case I wind up on Jeopardy. Alex, I’ll take Kenya for $400... we’re headed there next.

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...