Monday, December 17, 2018

Take a Trip


The countdown is here. Lists are written and wadded up in pockets. The television, radio and print advertising seem to shout “Hurry up! Don’t miss out!” Even an organized person that gets things done early can be swept up in the last chance hysteria that makes us want to throw ourselves into the giant crazy mix and see what we are missing. Some of us are dragging out luggage to make trips for family and fun. But I hope today to remind you about a great travel tip you can enjoy right now.

Make time to travel down memory lane.”

For me, this happens every year when I decorate our Christmas tree. My decorations are like my travel souvenirs, I like to “earn” them. I like buying something in a place that we’ve visited and then remembering that experience when I look at it. Travel decor is very popular right now, and Hobby Lobby is loaded with cool stuff, but I’d rather have something kinda ugly that has a story than something that matches from Pier 1. That’s how our Christmas decorations look... a mishmash of all colors and styles, and all have a story to tell. I make my cup of tea, open up the boxes and dig through the recycled tissue paper and have my very own personalized Hallmark Movie as I go down memory lane. 

For my first tree in my own place, my sweet friend Michelle made ceramic ornaments for a gift knowing that I didn’t own any. Those starter years... the tree was so small and scrawny, a few baubles was all that was needed.

There’s the mousetrap that my family always looks for clipped to a branch. My first season performing at The Kountry Kuzins Jamboree Show, I couldn’t bear to see all the popcorn that was thrown away. I started taking it home and stringing it, great idea, right? I had strands hanging on curtain rods for months, waiting to get the tree up. I’d go in to admire my work and… who knew that popcorn shrinks? There would be long bare threads, so I’d shove the popcorn down and make a new knot. Nephew, Justin, a little guy at the time, was looking at my tree and asked, “Aunt Patti, why is there a mouse in your Christmas tree?” Huh? Sure enough, there was a mouse working his way down that popcorn string like a PacMan video game, gobble, gobble, gobble. So, I set a trap in the tree, and caught not one but two mice that year. Let me tell you, a dead mouse hanging off a limb, lit by blinking bulbs says “Merry Christmas” like no other! Needless to say, it was my first and last year for popcorn, but the trap goes up along with the dozen or so mouse ornaments that my family thought I needed. What a memory.

Hopefully, many of us have those homemade ornaments our kids have glittered and crafted. Bent pipe cleaners, and Popsicle sticks and tiny photos make Christmas’s past in the present. And that, my friends, is a gift.

I have ornaments from trips that bring recollections of adventures and experiences. I’m always glad when I’ve written the date on it because most of the time I’m surprised how many years have gone by. Friends and family show up on our tree, as if knocking on the door. You think I’m kidding, but who needs Hallmark when unwrapping Christmas trinkets creates the same sentimental feelings?
It’s not too late to take that stroll down memory lane.

Take the time to enjoy it for yourself, but make sure your loved ones know the stories, too. The history behind items and Christmas traditions will be part of a yard sale someday if we don’t walk others down the path of appreciation. Enjoy your trip.

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...