Tuesday, December 20, 2016

A Creature WAS Stirring...


Before there was the Elf on the Shelf, there was the Mouse in the Tree. 

As your family comes in for Christmas, maybe part of the fun has been pulling out decorations from years past.  The little homemade ornaments from elementary school that have blobs of glitter and a flood of memories. Pictures of kids on Santa’s knees, maybe those kids have kids now. If you have a sentimental tree like I do, then each bauble and bulb adorns our Christmas tree with a little story. Once a year, these tiny treasures are like a time capsule to take us back to Christmas through the years.

I remember the reason for one ornament in particular. It was one of my first years being part of the Kountry Kuzins Jamboree Show and I couldn’t believe how much popcorn we threw away at the end of the evening. You need to know a couple of things, 1) I have been recycling, repurposing and pack-ratting for my entire life 2) Kountry Kuzins made their popcorn fresh every show and did not stir in the old with new the next show time. I couldn’t stand the waste, so that October, I started stringing popcorn to decorate our Christmas tree. I had miles of popcorn. I had it hanging off curtain rods, and over chair backs, just waiting on the tree to go up.

At last, the evergreen was brought in and the popcorn, the lovely buttered and completely salted strands of popcorn surrounded the spruce. I was so proud. But being a novice corn-stringer, I didn’t know that popcorn would “shrink,” because I discovered that there would be bare thread showing. I would shove the kernels to the end, tie a new knot and go on. This went on. And on.

One day, my favorite nephew (about six years old at the time) was admiring my tree. He hunted me up and asked, “Aunt Patti, why is there a mouse in your Christmas tree?” Seemed like a good question to me, so we went to look, and sure enough, there was Mr. Mouse, eating his way down the string of popcorn like Pac Man.  I had set up a literal buffet line for the little creeps! Well, deck the halls.

Country Living magazine may have instructions on how to decorate with old fashion charm, but I didn’t have a resource for getting wildlife out of the decorations. So, I set a trap. A mousetrap. In the tree. It worked! In fact, it worked three times! Let me tell you, finding a dead rodent limp and lifeless on a limb can be a good feeling during the holiday season!

So it began, the family bought me mouse ornaments to go on my tree, along with others that heard my story. And every year I pull out that ratty mousetrap and attach it to a branch and arrange the artificial mice around as warning. The family comes in and looks to see that the tree, free of popcorn (I learned that lesson) is also free of vermin.

Here’s wishing you and your family wonderful memories that you can treasure in years to come! Merry Christmas!

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...