Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Packing with Style

While hot wing sauce was being flung on furniture and Lady Gaga was Lady Spiderman during the Superbowl, this Good to Go girl was still sorting and tossing and packing for the big move across town. It’s taken the whole family to make this happen and we are just in the ‘moving out stage’ and haven’t begun the ‘moving in.’ I pride myself in being the Princess of Packing, but this kind of packing has kicked my crown to the curb. I pack for a three week trip the night before, and I move a 25-year-old household in 2 weeks, the math is about the same, right? The other truth is that I’m packing the “stuff” like I pack a suitcase, and so is Hubby Doug. Two totally different packing styles. Let us compare.
 
If you have seen my “Packing it in” program where I demonstrate how to pack in 2 gallon zip-lock bags or packing cubes, then you know I love an organized and tidy suitcase. I take pride in packing my luggage systematically, and knowing right where everything is. I HATE digging in a suitcase.
Husband Doug prefers a more….shall we say, random style of packing. He opens his suitcase like a box and just tosses everything in. His toothpaste may be wadded up with his socks, while his charging cable snakes around his boots and dress shirts. We have both tried to convert each other to our way, but it’s best we take separate bags. I can’t  be too snarky about his method, because he usually winds up with everything he needs. TSA probably just opens his luggage, drops in the “we inspected your bag” note and zips it as quickly as possible. 

Which leads us to packing up the Anderson Abode. We packed with our own style.  I look for the right size box, and then search the house for like items. Since I don’t know where anything will go in the new place, it seems sensible to have a carton marked “coasters” and fill it with anything that has served as a drip catcher in years past. Doug, on the other hand, will grab the closest empty box, and fill it with anything within reach.  It seems to make sense to him that “front door stuff” would, of course, include car keys, my tennis shoes, last weeks mail, and the Tupperware set out to return to the neighbor. Labeling is optional

We’ve had to do a couple of exploratory searches for items that were needed sooner rather than later. His box is more of a surprise package, then there is my box, marked “miscellaneous kitchen gadgets” , and I can’t really ever see a reason to open that.

When packing, whether in a cardboard box or Samsonite® roller, one still needs to remember the secret is to travel light. It’s all just stuff, and most of it can be bought or replaced somewhere down the road.  The good stuff is the memories. Have a yard sale and let’s travel!

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...