Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Pinning on a Peony


My world now includes a white carnation on Mother’s Day.

If you grew up in church that recognized mothers the second Sunday in May, you are probably familiar with the tradition of red and white flowers. As a girl, I remember women wearing corsages to church, red if their mother was living; white if she had passed away. Carnations were given away to the youngest mom, the oldest mother and the one with the most children. It seemed like we could always predict who was going to get the flower, but sometimes we had a visitor that surprised us. It was a day that we dressed up and worked on good behavior to make our moms proud. Our momma would work hard to prepare a big dinner for her mom (and dad, of course) and as the years passed the cycle continued. It was about being together as a family. It was about showing appreciation to our mother.

Out on Cowskin Prairie, on the Triple R Ranch, we didn’t spend a lot of time at the florist ordering corsages. When I was big enough to understand the tradition, I remember going out to Mom’s peony bush in the corner of the yard and picking off the biggest pink peony I could find. Mom loved to grow flowers, but she wasn’t one to cut or make an arrangement. She liked them in the yard. Where ever they came up and bloomed was her bouquet. Sister and I learned that an occasional Sweet William from the ditch, or a dandelion was Momma’s choice, and so we left her roses, iris and peonies alone. But I remember that big peony, about the size of a plate. I realize now it was way too large to be worn as a corsage. But Mom took that big blossom and pulled a couple of pins from her pincushion. She fixed that giant peony to her collar. I was so proud.

Maybe it was the choir. Maybe it was the organ music. Maybe it was my Daddy’s Hai-Karate after-shave. But… there were ants in the peony. And sometime before the offering, those little pests started filing out of those piles of pink petals onto Mother’s dress front. I’m not sure if they had a plan for their travel, but by the time she noticed them and started swatting at them, they had covered quite a bit of territory. I was sitting to her left, on the peony side, and I tried to pinch a few stragglers myself. Mom didn’t bolt from the pew. She didn’t yank off the flower in disgust. She just eliminated the trouble, straightened her collar, lifted her chin and belted out the next verse of “One Day at a Time.” (OK, I made the song memory up, but that was her favorite.) 

I miss her. I miss that, “Well, I’ll just take care of that...” attitude that she operated with. She didn’t whine, she didn’t do drama, she didn’t feel sorry for herself or for us. She just did. She was a momma that I appreciate now, more than ever. 

Pin that peony on now, friends, and celebrate your mother. There will be white flowers all too soon.

Is it Today or Tomorrow?

I read a funny that said “Tomorrow is another day used to sound hopeful. Now it sounds like a threat.” Ain’t it the truth? I’m not going to ...